A recent study shows that 70 million phones get lost every year. Sometimes you can leave it between the seats of your couch, sometimes in your friend’s house or somewhere else during a busy day. It can be in your other jacket or maybe it’s already in the hands of a thief. Whenever it is, all you want is to get it back. Below you will find several ways that may help to track your lost or stolen iPhone.
#1. Use Find My iPhone on the web
If you have a laptop at hand, you can easily track your lost iPhone via iCloud.com. For it, follow the steps below:
- Go to iCloud.com from any browser.
- Enter your Apple ID and password;
- Choose Find iPhone in the main menu.
4. Re-enter a password if prompted.
5. Choose All Devices on the top.
6. Select your iPhone from the list.
Once the real-time location of your iPhone is shown, you can zoom the map in and perform the next commands:
- Play sound: Your device will play an audible tone even if it is in silent or vibrate mode. This option would be the best if you lost your iPhone somewhere around the house.
- Lost mode: You can enter your phone number that would be displayed on the screen of your lost device. In case someone finds it, they can easily reach you.
- Erase data: You can delete all the data if there is no hope to retrieve your lost iPhone or you worry that someone can access your private data. By deleting everything, you protect your sensitive details from prying eyes.
#2. Use Find My Phone app
Not only you can track your lost iPhone through the web. Also, you can use Find My iPhone app on someone’s else Apple device to retrieve your lost or stolen iPhone. This app is available on every iPhone, iPad or iPod. If it is not available, you can install it from the App Store.
Follow the next steps to track your lost or stolen iPhone:
- Launch Find My iPhone from any other iPhone, iPad or iPod.
- Enter your iCloud ID to log in.
- Choose your iPhone you want to track.
Also, you can play sound, use lost mode or erase all the data.
#3. Use Google Timeline
Google Timeline saves all the data from your iPhone so that you can check its location. For it, follow the next steps:
- Go to the Google Timeline.
- Choose Today at the top left corner.
- Scroll down to view the latest location of your iPhone.
- Check the previous locations to identify whether your device is moving or not.
- Locate your iPhone on the map to identify the precise location.
Note! This method is available only if the location history and reporting are turned on your iPhone.
#4. Use Apple Watch
To identify the location of your iPhone using Apple Watch, follow the next steps:
- Connect your Apple Watch to the same network as your lost iPhone.
- Swipe up the screen of your Apple Watch.
- Tap the Ping button, which will make your iPhone play sound.
Hold the Ping button to make your iPhone turn the LED light (this is handy when you try to locate your iPhone at night).
#5. Use third-party apps
If you have installed any location tracking app like iTrack or GPS Location tracker, you can track your lost or stolen iPhone. Also, if your iPhone has the monitoring apps like mSpy, Flexispy or Mobilespy, you can also easily find your missed device. All these apps show the real-time location of your iPhone that can be easily viewed from the computer or any other connected device.
#6. Call your iPhone
Obviously, this method will not help you track the GPS location of your iPhone. But, if the device is lost at home or office, you will easily find it. Just dial your phone number and look around for your missed device. The main drawback of this method is that it will not work if your device is in silent mode.
Losing your iPhone can be really heart-breaking. Besides the significant costs, your device has a considerable amount of personal data (photos, videos, music), as well as sensitive (browsing history, chatting apps, card details, etc.). So, the fear of losing your device is fully justified.
While there is plenty of options to choose from when it comes to tracking your lost iPhone, Apple’s Find My Phone is the most reliable one. Apart from finding your lost device, it helps to protect your sensitive information from potentially dangerous people. Another good option to find your lost iPhone is to use Google Timeline. It helps not only to identify today’s locations but the previous ones as well. Other than these methods, the third-party app can also help to track your missed device, but they need to be installed before your device is lost.
However, before performing any of the steps mentioned in this article, ensure the iCloud backup of your lost device is enabled.